Illustration by Charmaine Koehler-Lodge
This beautiful dip comes from our sister magazine, Edible East Bay. Serve it with assorted raw vegetables, crackers, or breads.
TOASTED WALNUT & BEET DIP
- ½ pound beets
- 1 cup walnut pieces or halves
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash beets thoroughly and place them on foil with a splash of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Wrap loosely, place on a baking sheet, and bake at 400° for 40 to 60 minutes or until beets are soft enough that you can easily pierce them with a fork. Remove from oven and let beets sit until cool enough to handle. To peel, hold the cooled roasted beet with a paper towel and use another towel to rub the skin away.
- Spread walnut pieces on a baking sheet and toast at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes, checking often to prevent burning.
- Place roasted beets, toasted walnuts, cheese, vinegar, and garlic in a blender or food processor. Blend until thick and creamy. With blender running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil, continuing to process until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.