Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
- 3 heads of garlic
- 1 7- pound chicken from Hooker Creek Farms or 2 small chickens, cut into eighths
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1½ cups white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Separate the garlic into cloves. Salt and pepper the chicken on both sides. Heat the butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. In batches, sauté the chicken on both sides, first skin side down, until nicely browned, about 3-5 minutes each side. Transfer brown chicken pieces to a plate, and continue until all chicken pieces are browned and transferred to plate.
- Lower the heat on the Dutch oven and add the garlic. Saute 5-10 minutes until nicely browned, stirring often. Add 1 tablespoon of the brandy and all the wine, bring to a boil, and scrape brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Return the chicken, with all juices, to the pot and add thyme leaves. Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes, or until chicken reaches 165°.
- Remove the chicken to a platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup of the cooking liquid and the fl our. Once flour is incorporated, whisk the mixture back into the pot. Raise the heat and add the remaining tablespoon of brandy and the cream. Boil, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve hot.
Redding resident Sadie Krueger has been cooking professionally for twenty-four years, including in the nutrition and healthcare industry for ten of those years. After witnessing the devastating effects of diet and lifestyle choices and the healing benefits of a healthy diet and lifestyle, she now loves creating plant based recipes using local, organic produce to improve the health of her clients, family, and friends.