Courtesy of the Field to Fork Tehama newsletter.
Beet Hummus from the Field to Fork Tehama newsletter
- 3-4 beets
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas I prefer to use dried chickpeas rather than canned
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Note: I do not use tahini in this recipe but you can add 4 tablespoons tahini if you like
- Slice ends off of beets. Place on foil and drizzle with olive oil; wrap. Slice off the top of the head of garlic, place on foil, drizzle olive oil over the top, and wrap. Place both in oven and roast for 35 minutes at 425°.
- When the beets and garlic are done roasting, allow them to cool. Then slide the skin off of the beets and cut into chunks. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their papery casing. Add all ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth. You may need to scrape the sides several times. When it is smooth, transfer to a bowl and serve with pita chips or carrot and other vegetable sticks (kohlrabi! turnip!) or use as a spread on toast or sandwiches.