Edible flowers add an extra layer of beauty to the presentation of this sweet spring treat.
Skillet Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts being the wife of a walnut farmer, I used walnuts.
- 3 tablespoons butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
FOR COFFEE CAKE
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour or arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup butter, ghee, or coconut oil, melted
- Juice of one lemon
- 1½ cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Liberally grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet and set aside. Combine streusel ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, tapioca, baking soda, and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together eggs, maple syrup, melted fat of choice, and lemon juice. Pour wet into dry and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour half of batter into greased skillet, spreading it to cover bottom. Layer most of streusel mixture and blueberries on top. Pour on the rest of batter and then scatter remaining streusel and blueberries on top. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and set in center. Enjoy!
Erin McCarthy Bianchi is a Registered Dietitian and all-around local food lover. She and her two daughters spend many hours in the kitchen cooking and eating. Follow Erin on Instagram @thefarmerandthecook for more simple recipes using local ingredients.