This recipe by Miguel Vergara won honorable mention in Bella Sun Luci’s 9th Annual Recipe Contest, June 2021.
For the buns
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the Aioli Sun Dried Tomato Spread
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Bella Sun Luci Premium
- Tomato Halves with Italian Herbs minced
- Paste of 1 garlic glove
For the burgers
- 1 pound ground beef at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Bella Sun Luci Premium Tomato Halves with Italian Herbs minced
- 1 egg beaten
- Paste of 2 garlic cloves
- ½ small white onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices provolone cheese or substitute 1-ounce wedges of brie
- 2 cups mixed greens
- Fresh tomato slices
- Fresh red onion slices
- 4–8 slices cooked thick-cut bacon (optional)
To prepare the buns:
Drizzle the burger buns with olive oil. In a toaster oven, on a grill, or in a skillet, brown the buns and set aside.
To prepare the Aioli Sun Dried Tomato Spread:
To prepare the burgers:
In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the burgers, except the cheese. Form into 4 equal-sized burger patties, ¼ inch wider than the buns.
Lightly oil skillet or grill and set on a medium heat. When heated, cook the patties on each side for about 4-6 minutes for medium or until desired temperature. Place slice of cheese on top of each warm burger patty to melt.
On the bottom bun, spread 1 generous teaspoon of the aioli mixture and top with grilled burger. Add slices of tomato and red onion plus bacon (if using) and ½ cup mixed greens. Spread 1 tablespoon of the aioli on the cut side of the top bun before placing on top. Mediterranean burger is ready to eat!