EGGPLANT AND CHEVRE ROULADE
- 1 large globe eggplant peeled and seeded if desired
- 6 ounces goat cheese whipped with 1 ounce heavy cream
- ½ cup olive oil plus more for brushing and sauce
- Kosher salt to taste
- ¼ medium yellow onion diced
- ¼ cup currants
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- 12 to 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise into ¼-inch-thin slices (approximately 12). Brush both sides of slices with olive oil. Place on a sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes. Turn over and bake for another 10 minutes.
- While eggplant is in the oven, whip together the goat chesse and cream. Set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Sauté diced onion, currants, cinnamon, and oregano for 2 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and heat through. Season with salt and set aside.
- When eggplant slices come out of the oven, spread the chevre mix on the top side and roll up. Place three rolls per person on a plate. Garnish with sauce and serve
Chef Brett LaMott, Café Maddalena in Dunsmuir