Autumn Glory Salad
- 2 cups assorted mixed greens
- 1 large granny smith apple
- 1/4 fennel bulb trimmed & shaved
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup spiced pecans Spiced Pecans: ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon pepper ¼ teaspoon cayenne ¼ teaspoon ginger 1/8 teaspoon clove ½ teaspoon cinnamon 1½ tablespoon brown sugar 2 heaping cups pecans 3 tablespoons butter, melted Mix spices and sugar in bowl. Toss nuts with enough butter to coat well, and bake in 350 oven for about 10 minutes until toasted. Toss hot nuts with spices and remaining butter until well coated. Return to oven and toast for an additional 4 to 5 minutes stirring and shaking pan frequently. Cool.
- 3+ tbsp golden balsamic vinaigrette Golden Balsamic Vinaigrette: ½ cup extra virgin olive oil ¼ cup golden balsamic vinegar 1 tablespoon honey 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard 2 tablespoons minced shallot ½ teaspoon sea salt ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper Whisk all ingredients until blended. Shake or whisk before each use.
- Toss greens, apples, and fennel with desired amount of dressing. Heap greens onto two plates and scoop apples and fennel on top of lettuces as much as possible. Divide the blue cheese between salads and sprinkle on top. Repeat with cranberries and spiced pecans.
Edible Shasta-Butte is the guide to local food, dining, and gardening in Northern California’s central valley from Butte County north to the Oregon border.