HANDS ACROSS THE POND BARLEYWINE (British Bulldog Brewery & Secret Trail Brewing Co.) (local collaboration) is sweet and rich with a pleasant alcohol note. Wonderful accent to my Beer Cheese Soup with Apple and Bratwurst.
Beer Cheese Soup
- 1 package bratwurst 4–5 wursts
- Flour and butter for your roux see note below
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups Hands Across the Pond Barleywine
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pound sharp cheddar shred it yourself
- Salt and white pepper*
- 2 or 3 local apples cubed right before serving
- 1 demi sourdough baguette sliced
- Zest of 1 lime
- To make the soup: Slice brats into 1-inch discs and sauté thoroughly in a Dutch oven. Remove brats from pan and set aside. Make a quick roux following advice under the Gravy on page 2Slowing stir in chicken stock and barleywine a little at a time and bring to boil. Turn down to a simmer and stir in milk. Slowly add shredded cheddar, stirring continuously. Add salt and white pepper* to taste.
- To serve: Ladle soup into shallow bowls. Top with brat discs and apple cubes. Slide in a few slices of sourdough and top with lime zest (trust me, it’s not just for looks). Serve and watch your friend who said she wasn’t that hungry wipe the bowl with her finger and then go for seconds.
- *Black pepper is fine, but Julia Child always said to use white pepper in lighter-colored dishes. She said black pepper makes it look like someone ashed their cigarette in your beurre blanc. It’s just aesthetics, but Julia’s the queen so just do it.
Stephen David Caldes is a writer, home cook, and assistant professor in the Journalism and Public Relations Department at CSU, Chico. He has many hobbies, but eating with friends is his favorite.