Hot Toddy Time
There aren’t very many rules with toddies; you can use brandy, rum, whiskey, or skip the alcohol and use tea and spices. Spin the toddy slots game and see what you get.
- 2 ounces bourbon, brandy, rum, whiskey, cognac, and/or your favorite herbal tea
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon of honey or spruce tip mugolio or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla
- Squeeze of lemon
- Optional garnishes: cinnamon stick, star anise, clove, orange peel, cardamom pods
- 3 cups water
- 1 cone piloncillo 6 ounces
- Cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup aguardiente, rum, or tequila
PREPARING THE HOT TODDY
Add honey, lemon, vanilla and your chosen cold curing booze or tea into a mug or glass, pour boiling water over it, and stir. Garnish by stirring with a cinnamon stick or by floating your favorite spices on top.
PREPARING THE CANELAZO TODDY
Canelazo is an Andean drink, reminiscent of my honeymoon spent touring the volcanoes of Ecuador. I love the deep flavor of the piloncillo cones and the lime and cinnamon; it will warm you right up.
Gently simmer all the ingredients on medium-low until sugar is dissolved, pour into a mug or glass, garnish with a half slice of lime, and enjoy.